Saturday, June 02, 2007

High up at Hayeswater - with 1 year old in tow!


I carried out a bit of a selfish experiment today. We have this rucksack/child carrier thing which we use to take George out for walks and I decided that it might be time to take him on his first ever fishing trip. Exactly how I would manage to fish with a podgy 12 month old clinging to my back remained to be seen, but I was up for the challenge nevertheless!

I plumped for Hayeswater today, fishable on a day ticket from Windermere Anglers. A measly £8 gets you up in the hills and amongst some of the most spectacular scenery this country can provide.
The fish here are wild as the wind and of a better average size than many hill tarns. They tend to patrol the steep drop off a couple of rod lengths out - a set of wet flies worked on a short line in the wave should do the trick. That said, my previous visit here (also my first), ended fishless on a really blowy day last July. I was hoping for a better performance today.....

As I made the steep pull up alongside Hayeswater beck, I noticed that a good number of beetles were on the wing. I've no idea what species, but they were quite large - about 15mm - and with a distinct deep claret colouration; I wondered if I would find them being blown on to the water. Sure enough, as I settled down at the top end of the reservoir to give George his lunch, I watched as one of the hapless insects bumbled past and landed, struggling on the surface a few yards away. Straight away a very good trout came up out of nowhere and snaffled the beetle in a splashy rise. My tactics were decided, then. A two fly cast with bibio on the dropper and black & peacock spider on the point.

Once I was up and running with the boy safely saddled up, I got regular takes to the spider - usually by fishing it static as a 'damp' dry fly, or by slowly dribbling it back through the wave. As is usually the case on waters like this, the takes were lightning fast and I missed the majority of them and had a few twist off shortly after being hooked. I did however manage three pristine brownies, all around the 12 inch mark and all beautifully marked. In the clear water they fought like tigers and were a real pleasure to catch. George didn't seem that bothered though....he had fallen asleep shortly after lunch!

So an enjoyable afternoon and not as hard work carrying my son as I had thought it might be, although dealing with landed fish was a bit awkward and my shoulders are protesting now.

I'll look forward to the time when I can take him back up to Hayeswater with a rod in his hand!

2 comments:

nick690 said...

Hi, great reports of your exploits.
Wish I was able to be there too.
To help us armchair readers any chance of info on the tackle chosen and why.
I spend all my holidays in Cumbria and should have been in Kendal area this week but for a very sick cat.
Look after George (same name as my dad and my second christian name)
Regards
Nick 690

nick690 said...

Hi Mark,
Great blog.
Wish I could be there also.
Keep up the good work with the blog.
You are so luck to live within striking distance of Cumbria and its great rivers and lakes.
Regards
Nick690