Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Little 'uns on the Lowther.

I have to admit that my favourite types of river to fish, are those which offer the opportunity to fish a variety of techniques over the course of the day. The middle Eden very much fits this bill, with its combination of fast, popply water, smooth glides, tree-lined runs etc. On a typical day, one can fish nymph, wet fly, dry fly and even heavy bugs as the conditions, water and fish dictate. I like the fact that if nothing is obviously rising, I can use a searching method (upstream nymphing, for example), to fish the water and hopefully contact a fish or two.
The Lowther doesn't really fall into this category, for reasons explained in a previous post. As a result, I tend to only fish it when the parent river is out of sorts - which is a shame as the Lowther is a fine little river in its own right, and one which can offer fine dry fly sport to those with considerably more ability and finesse than I.
Tonight was a good example. Both Eden and Eamont were a good 18" up and the colour of oxtail soup (I can't remember the last time I found the Eden in anything like decent ply), so I had little choice but to subject myself once more to the insanely panicky trout of the Lowther around Whale footbridge.
With a nice 8" or so of peat-tinged fresh running through, conditions looked favourable. I knotted on a small paradun and began to scramble around through the undergrowth looking for feeding trout. This did work after a fashion as upward of a dozen fish fell to the tactic; however I failed to tempt one of the stream's larger residents - the trout were all small, but they were wild, dark little fish and a good sign for the future.
After recent wild weather it was pleasant to get out onto the river again in calm, humid conditions. Around 9pm, the olive spinners came and although they didn't trigger a rise, it was beautiful to watch them dance over the water as the setting sun illuminated the foothills with a rosy glow.

No comments: