Saturday, August 04, 2007

Back on the Eden at last.


After an enforced lay-off of about 8 weeks, I finally made it back onto the Eden. It wasn't planned that way though, my intentions had been to visit the remote Pennine moors to fish Cow Green Reservoir. However, as I drove northwards through Upper Teesdale, it became apparent that the weather was going to play a part - a heavy drizzle was being blown at increasing speed across the road in front of me.
Sure enough, when I crested Widdybank Fell and pulled into the visitor's car park, I was greeted by a huge grey ghost of an inland sea, with white horse crested waves being driven forcefully onto the shore below. This immense sheet of water melted away into the blanket hill fog before me, creating a seemingly impenetrable bank of intimidating whiteness. When I got out of the car to take a closer look, the wind lashed stinging rain into my eyes and slammed the car door shut behind me. I'll be honest - I just didn't fancy it!
Leaving Cow Green behind for a fairer day, I drove onwards through Alston and down toward Langwathby, hoping for more gentle conditions in the valley bottom. I was lucky - the wind was little more than a breeze and the sky was overcast, but unthreatening. I found the Eden at Little Salkeld to be in fine nick, with a few inches of glowing, amber water running through. Setting up a pair of nymphs, I headed off upstream hopeful of sport.
As it turned out, I had a decent - if not spectacular - session. The nymphs brought regular interest from the native brownies and grayling. Mainly small fish, but with a few around the 12" mark and one better trout of well over the pound. I finished with around a dozen fish to my name (and an awful lot of parr!), which I don't think was too bad for the time of year and banished the memory of my previous trip out, when I couldn't have caught a trout if my life had depended on it!

1 comment:

tyler mcmahon said...

Hi there. My name is Tyler McMahon and I am editing a fishing anthology. I'm writing to ask if you could share the following announcement with the readers of your blog. Thanks for your consideration.

Casagrande Press Seeks Fishing Misadventure Stories for Publication
Got a bizarre, disastrous, or comical fishing story? Submit it for publication in the forthcoming book Fishing's Greatest Misadventures.

Attention Fishermen: Do you have a story about the one that got away? Or a story about a fishing related calamity such as: going overboard, sinking your boat, getting attacked by the thing you caught, getting lost or stranded in the water, getting pranked by buddies, having horrid luck, or some other comical or terrible disaster? Casagrande Press wants your story for a new book. The press looks for stories that tell a good tale, develop the depth of the characters involved, and have a tight narrative tension. There is no fee or cost to submit a story. Previously published stories accepted. Author will retain the copyright to their story if we choose it for publication. Writers paid upon publication.

Submit online at www.casagrandepress.com.
Taking submissions now through April 15th, 2008.
Please contact me if you need any additional information.
Sincerely,

Tyler McMahon
Editor, Casagrande Press
858-736-9290 pancakemaster@yahoo.com