Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Boxing Day cock up!

By some fluke, I somehow found myself able to go fishing today. With all festive visiting done and my wife nursing our poorly toddler, I was at something of a loose end; and with the weather having turned a bit milder, I felt a spot of grayling fishing was very much on the cards.

The day has not been a success however. First I left the house without my fishing bag and had to turn around and drive back to collect it. Then, I realised I'd forgotten my camera - luckily, I was just backing out of the drive at the time.....

Once I'd finally got myself sorted and made the drive northward towards Appleby, I found the Eden to be a bit out of sorts. Overnight rain had had an effect and brought the river up a foot and with too much colour for my liking. The obvious alternative was the Eamont which tends to respond less rapidly to rainfall - there would be a much greater chance of some fishing there, so I drove over to take a peek off Brougham Bridge.

Sure enough, Eamont seemed to be in good ply. I was unable to tell if she was rising, but her waters were clear and at normal winter level, so I made my way up to Whinfell Park feeling confident of a pleasurable day's fishing.

Unfortunately a final kick in the teeth was awaiting me at the car park - when I opened the car boot, I realised with horror that I'd left my wading boots 70 miles away in my garage at home!

There was one last chance to get out of jail - John Norris' shop at Penrith. Perhaps I could pick a cheap pair of boots up? No chance, the shop was closed! I had no choice but to make the long drive back home. Quite what had brought on this sudden bout of premature senility, I'm not sure......

Anyway, I punished myself by committing to tie some Oliver Edwards stoneclinger nymphs. These realistic imitations are hideously long-winded in their construction. Each one takes me around the half hour mark, and the final sting in the tail comes right at the end, when a hot-tip cauteriser is required to put kinks in each of the six spanflex legs - I ALWAYS seem to end up burning one or more of the bloody legs off!!

Never mind, I don't suppose the trout will be counting....and the result of my labours is the little collection below which should serve me well this coming spring, when the uprights and yellow mays are hatching.

1 comment:

Alistair said...

Sounds like it was not to be from the word go ! I suppose your only other option may have been a spot of Pike action ?