Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fly line loop method.



I was discussing fly line to leader connections with Alan C this week. Following advice from a mate, I recently abandoned the popular but bulky braided loop connectors in favour of the altogether more sexy method shown above.

Now this isn't anything ground-breaking - it's been around for donkey's years. But having witnessed the difference in presentation it affords when using lighter line weights, I'm wondering why I didn't give it a go earlier.

Put simply, the tip of your fly line remains more buoyant and doesn't land with an untidy splash because the loop is lighter and less bulky. And that's with my ham fisted attempt above. I'm sure with a bit of practice, I can get those thread wraps neater and the length of the whip, a wee bit shorter.

The method is broadly as follows:
1. Nick an egg cup full of nail varnish remover from the wife.
2. Soak the end two inches of your fly line in the solution until the plastic coating goes soft.
3. Strip said coating off the braid core using thumb nail/blunt knife.
4. Fold the braid core back on itself to form a loop and put a couple of stitches in to hold it.
5. The tricky bit: form a thread whipping which butts up to the end of the line's plastic coating. I find this is best achieved by holding the loop in the tying vice and sandwiching the the line in the same horizontal plane between some books. Two hands can now be used to manipulate the thread bobbin.
6. A neat whip finish can be achieved by binding a loop of light nylon into the whipping which is later used to draw the thread back through and under the thread wraps. All that is required now is a coat or three of thin head cement - just enough to fully immerse the thread thus protecting from fraying through use.

And that's it - the neatest fly line loop I've used yet. I won't be going back to braided connectors anytime soon!

1 comment:

David M said...

Hi Mathew,
Like you I abandoned the braided connectors.

I have tried the same method you show & have another alternative which gives a similar result.

Having stripped off the coating with solvent, I stiched the loop up & down for half an inch with a fine needle using Roman Moser power silk & finished it off with a few half hitches.

I then slipped on some fine heat shrink tubing & shrank it carefully using the bulb in my table top lamp. It makes a neat job & is flexible. The shrink can be obtained in different colours as well as clear.

I'd post up a photo but not sure how to do it here?
Dave