Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Trout, Sea Trout, Grayling....and Chub!

Do sea trout feed in fresh water? I have to admit, I didn't think so. I assumed that their habits upon entering the river were similar to those of the salmon. After this evening's visit to my local club water however, I'm inclined to conclude differently.

There are obviously plenty of the sea runners around at the moment - they noisily made their presence felt in numerous pools - but I didn't expect to come into contact with them whilst nymphing for trout in broad daylight. So when I tightened into a sideways dart of the leader midway up the second pool, to be greeted by a heavy fish kiting strongly in the current, I assumed I was into a good brownie.

With my abysmal recent record of losing the better fish I've hooked, I was very eager to avoid any mishap. A tense five minute battle ensued, but eventually the fish was in the net. Not a brownie at all, but a sea trout of 2lb! Amazingly, another followed a few casts later - a bright school fish of 1lb 4oz (above). Both fish found a size 14 gold caddis to their liking.....and left me scratching my head.

The rest of the evening was pleasant enough although the sport was hardly scintillating. With buddy Rob accompanying me, we gave the water a thorough going over with dries, nymphs and wets, for little return until last light.

The water was about spot on - 11" up and carrying a slight beery tinge and early on the nymphs proved most effective. I had a couple of nice trout and a brace of 10" grayling interspersed with numerous sprots.

Rob's persistance with the Griffith's gnat came to fruition late on when 4 good fish were plundered from a nice looking foam line on the edge of darkness.

In between, he managed to add a forth species to our tally. Pulling a sedge back across a back-eddy, a large swirl halted the flies progress and Rob was suddenly attached to a decent fish. Brief thoughts of another sea trout were soon dispelled though, when the fight petered out and a large pair of lips appeared gasping at the surface - the culprit was a pristine chub.



Very little insect activity tonight - a few b-wo spinners late on, but not enough to really inspire a rise. This seems to be a common theme this summer. After good early hatches of large dark olives hereabouts, co-ordinated hatches have been decidedly thin on the ground.

3 comments:

Alistair said...

I bet that Sea Trou put up some fight - well done on a nice catch :-)

I am going night fishing for Sea Trout this weekend and if I do half as well as you have done not trageting them I will be happy!

Alistair

Matthew said...

Nice chub! Here in the states I have never seen a chub of that size. My dad has told me stories of catching large "white chubs." He said that they grew to large sizes, I figure much like the one you caught. That would not be, by chance, a white chub you are holding would it? Just wondering.

Matthew Eastham said...

Matthew,

In the UK we just have one species of chub - the one Rob is pictured holding. There is a similar but much smaller species called the dace which rarely grows over 12" long.
The chub is very common in slower parts of UK rivers and can grow to over 8lb in weight.
They fight like a sack of spuds though!

Thanks for your comment,
Matt