Saturday, October 25, 2008

Epoxy Bidoz Bug.

I've posted this on the fly fishing forum's 'step-by-step' section, so I might as well show it here too. I've been tying a few heavy grayling bugs and as mentioned previously on these pages, I've been finding Flytek's tungsten Bidoz bodies very useful all season. They are as you would expect, very dense for their size which means that very small flies can be fished deeper than normal - something I've found to be a real advantage as trout and especially grayling sometimes aren't as tolerant of over-sized offerings, particularly in clear water conditions. With these nymphs, a pair of size 16's (taking 7mm bodies), can get right in amongst the stones in summer conditions; and a pair of size 12's (9mm bodies), will get you down in almost anything winter grayling fishing can throw at you.
Originally, I simply superglued the bodies to a lightly dubbed hook, but found that after a few trips, the bodies had a habit of becoming detached, particularly if the fly became trapped between stones. So I then added a wire rib to the tying which helped a lot; however, a wire rib against an unweilding tungsten base is quite prone to abrasion and I've found that contact with trout teeth and rock tends to result in the rib breaking after a while. So I've now added a thin epoxy shell-back to the dressing which I reckon makes it just about bomb-proof!

I'd whole-heartedly recommend trying a few of these. The Bidoz bodies aren't cheap, but I've caught a hell of a lot of fish on these this season (and hope to continue doing so through the winter). Some of them are fish I don't think I would have caught using my standard bugs......


The Epoxy Bidoz Bug.

Hook: Scorpion Supergrub size 12-16.
Thread: 16/0 in colour to suit.
Rib: Wire in colour to suit.
Tail (optional): Pheasant tail fibres.
Dubbing: Any loosely dubbed material. I use masterclass and hare's ear.
Body: Tungsten Bidoz body in size 7-9mm.
Shellback: Thinly applied 5 minute epoxy.

Sequence:

1. Catch in 3-4 tail fibres and wire rib. Keep bulk down to a minimum (the bidoz is fixed via a narrow groove on the underside and if the flies underbody is built up too fat, it won't fit)




2. Dub loosely back toward the eye (I have used masterclass #10 rhyacophila here), leaving room for the thorax dubbing.



3. Dub on a thorax of hare fur, stroking all the fibres downwards to give a leggy appearance.



4. Now apply a thin bead of superglue to the groove on the underside of the tungsten body, and plonk it onto the hook, holding down for a few seconds until it has stuck.



5. Take the wire and wind it forwards using the grooves in the body to space the rib. Bind it down and wiggle the tag end of the wire gently to break it. Then whip finish and cement the head.


6. Mix a little epoxy up and apply a thin coat to the back of the fly. Voila! It's time to go catch some grayling!

3 comments:

Tony said...

very nice ...... boddies were do I get them ? can feel some vice time coming on .

Matthew Eastham said...

Tony,

They are available from Pat Stevens at Flytek. A link to his site is on the right

Matt

Phil said...

Matt,

Nice bugs mate !! I have been using the Bidoz for a while and they certainly do the biz. Bought a batch at last years BFFI. Added to the shoping list for this years get together.