Thursday, April 02, 2009

The lowly midge.


The clocks have changed and the weather is warming. I may manage to squeeze in a couple of hours after work tomorrow at my local put and take fishery, which will allow me to extend the arms a bit and practice my casting.

This time of year signals large midge hatches at Barnsfold Waters and the sport to buzzer patterns - both sunk and emerging - can be electric. I have a few tried and tested patterns for this bonanza, but recently I have spent a couple of hours experimenting in pursuit of a nice translucent orange glow around the thorax, which is exhibited by the pupa as it hangs sub-surface prior to eclosion.

These experimental (and shoddily made!) patterns are tied using a build-up of orange spanflex at the thorax, with black permanent marker applied to the top edge only. In certain light, this looks quite tasty. I will report tomorrow on their effectiveness.......or otherwise.


1 comment:

phil-k said...

I think your title says it all really."The lowly midge".

It would be interesting to find out more about midge and how we can fish buzzers to imitate the natural insect.

I have made up a couple of your olive suspender buzzers for my next stillwater outing. :)