Saturday, March 20, 2010

Dreaming of a drifting boat........

I've been doing more daydreaming lately than would generally be considered healthy for a man. With milder spring weather prevailing and some encouraging reports from one or two of my fishing mates, I'm absolutely itching to get on the water, be it river, stillwater or just a full bucket! This year has seen one of my longest periods of enforced fishing inactivity I can ever remember and it may well be right at the end of this month before I yet feel a bend in the rod again (I'm afraid this blog has more or less become a catalogue of my work at the tying vice recently. Not very interesting I know, but hopefully I'll be able to rectify that soon).

My daydreaming this week took me onto a favourite wild lake and fishing from a drifting boat on the back of a mild, moist south westerly for the most beautiful brown trout in the country. It was no surprise then, that when I settled down behind the vice today, I finally left the spiders and river nymphs behind  in favour of some stillwater wet flies. The results are shown below...and you have my word that my next post will involve some actual fishing, promise!

Bibio

Hook: Kamasan B170 #14
Thread: UTC 70 black
Rib: medium mirage tinsel
Body: black, then red-claret, then black seals fur
Hackle: black cock
Head Hackle: black hen


Bibio Hopper


Dressing as above except body hackle is omitted and knotted black PT legs are added.

Perch/Bullhead Muddler


Hook: Fulling Mill comp heavyweight #10
Thread: UTC 120 olive
Tail: Glo-bright floss #5
Rib: UTC hot orange wire
Body: blend of olive seals furs with a couple of strands of pearl ice wing
Hackle: dark furnace hen
Wing: dyed olive roe deer hair


Green Glister Muddler


Hook: Fulling Mill comp heavyweight #10
Thread: UTC 120 olive
Rib: UTC gold wire
Body: mix of peacock and light olive glister
Hackle: grizzle hen dyed golden olive
Head: roe deer hair


Amber Caddis Muddler

Hook: Fulling Mill comp heavyweight #10
Thread: UTC 120 olive
Rib: UTC hot yellow wire
Body: blend of sunburst/orange/peach seals furs
Hackle: badger cock
Head: roe deer hair with a few strands of MOP rootbeer


Malham Green Dabbler

Hook: Kamasan B175 #12
Thread: UTC 70 brown olive
Tail: pheasant tail dyed picric
Rib: UTC gold wire
Body: blend of olive seals furs with a pinch of insect green
Hackle: dark furnace hen
Wing: cloaked bronze mallard with jungle cock splits optional.


Claret Dabbler


Hook: Kamasan B175 #12
Thread: UTC 70 rusty brown
Tails: natural pheasant tail over a few strands of red mirror flash
Rib: UTC red/wine wire
Body: blend of claret seals furs
Hackle: dark furnace hen
Wing: cloaked bronze mallard with jungle cock splits optional

.

2 comments:

Midgeman said...

Absolutely beautiful ties!

Johan said...

Nice muddlers!

/Johan