Friday, May 21, 2010

A fabulous evening with the River Eden's large trout.

When I returned home late on Friday night I could have written a novel about the delights that the evening's trouting session on the Eden had given me. But now, a couple of days later I've settled down a bit and am more disposed to give a somewhat more concise account of what had turned out to be a memorable evening of low water dry fly sport.

You know when you just get the feeling that the river is going to be alive with feeding fish? Driving over the moors from Tebay toward Appleby on Friday afternoon, the air temperature was 22c and a muggy overcast was building from the west, taking the edge off what had been a starkly bright day. My car windscreen was peppered with the corpses of a thousand dead insects and there was a palpable feeling that the year's first spell of warm weather had stimulated mother nature into urgent action.
Sure enough, as I wandered off downstream with my #4 SLT rigged up with 13' tapered leader, I quickly registered signs of feeding fish. What was interesting them was unclear: with an abundance of black gnats, midge, hawthorn flies and a few olive uprights in evidence, there was every chance that the fish would not be too selective. I hedged my bets and stuck on a #14 olive klink.

Early efforts were less than successful. I'd love to tell you that I expertly moved from fish to fish, picking each one off with military precision, but the honest truth is that I got a bit excited at the sight of a river so obviously bristling with life and promise and proceeded to fish in a messy and uncontrolled manner, putting my first half dozen targets down amidst a rash of bad casting, poor leader management and abysmally unstealthy wading. The fish may well have been looking for trouble, but a low, clear river is still a low, clear river and it quickly became apparent that I needed to pull myself together if a golden opportunity was not to be unforgivably wasted.

On reflection, some part of my poor initial performance was I think, down to the fact that I was too eager to get into the fish and mindful of the clock ticking down - as always when fishing into the evening - I rushed things and failed to assess the approach and tactics for each individual target fish. Luckily I realised this fairly early on and managed to slow things down and start using the grey matter a bit.......

Rewards were soon forthcoming and to cut a long story short, I finished up with lots of trout in the net and a far greater feeling of satisfaction than the first hour of the session had predicted. What really made the evening special though, was the number of large fish that saw fit to eat my klinkhamer. I tend to view any river trout over a pound in weight (approx 13.5") as being a decent fish, and anything over 2lb goes down in my book as a big 'un; and although I reckon to be a fairly good estimator of weight, I'll tend to get the spring balance out and weigh in the net any fish I suspect of being near the 2lb mark. My largest fish on this particular evening went 1lb 12oz, 1lb 14oz, 2lb, 2lb 10oz and 2lb 12oz; 5 wild Eden trout for combined weight of 11lb - that's good quality river fishing whichever way you slice it.





I could wax lyrical about the joys of a summer evening on the river, the pastoral beauty of the Eden valley etc, but there will hopefully be plenty of opportunity for that over the coming weeks. One event worth mentioning though: I came upon a pair of otters in one pool, cavorting and whistling to each other as if I wasn't there at all. When they finally saw me and departed, I caught two trout from that same pool - they had started - or more likely recommenced - rising minutes after the otters had moved on. Once again I had cause to wonder at the richness and resilience of the Eden as a game fish river.


8 comments:

Fly and Fin said...

Brilliant!

Glina said...

Beautiful browns !

- Mike - said...

That was an enjoyable read, of what looks like an incredible evening. I hadn't really cottened on to the idea that evening fishing is already where the most success lies. I shall look out more carefully from now on.

Gareth (FFISW) said...

Fantastic writing as always Matt, and those fish are outstanding! Fantastic spots and colouring!

Well done that man!

G

Anonymous said...

Matthew,

what a fantastic session! those browns looked in mint condition - superb fish by anyone's standards.

I am coming up to the lakes over half term with a french friend who is keen to get stuck into some wild brown trout, and have referred him to your excellent site. do you have any suggestions for us? I'm a WADAA member but he'll be on day tickets. any advice would be gratefully received.

tom www.tominargentina.blogspot.com

Matthew Eastham said...

Cheers Tom!

I'm petty sure there are some WADAA waters you can get tickets for. I particularly like Hayeswater (about 7 quid I think for a guest) and Thirlmere may be worth a punt.

Haweswater over the East side can fish - and is free to EA license holders, and Ullswater an be spectacular at this time of year with the mayfly....but is best fished from a boat.

Your best bet on the rivers is to bob up to Keswick and get a day ticket for the Keswick AA water on Derwent and Greta. The latter in particular is a nice, bouldery pocket water stream - well worth a bash.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you require any more info.....

Matt

Midgeman said...

Superb story of one of those days that you'll remember for a very long time! Those browns are absolutely beautiful and the water looks like a great place to just get lost!

DarrellKuni said...

This is a wonderfully informative thread, as I am coming to the Fringe in Edinburgh, then will have many days to flyfish. I hope there's fishable flows, understand your rain sit. I can relate, I live in Southern California. A flow down a street from a car wash excites.

Hope to fish your area in August.

Darrell Kunitomi
LA, California
The country you know