Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cat's Whisker Variant



I'm a simple creature when it comes to stillwater rainbow trout lures. Although I would rather fish wets, dries or nymphs, when the time comes to bring on the 'reservoir nasties', I invariably start with something black. If that doesn't work, I go to the opposite end of the spectrum and this little fellow comes out the box - the ubiquitous cat's whisker.
It's not a fly I use all that often (the last time it got a run out, it produced a couple of rudd believe it or not), but I've been re-stocking my mini lure box and thought it might interest you to see how a man who errs towards the traditional side of fly fishing, deals with the occasional need to tie lure patterns - he puts a hen hackle at the front!

Hook: FM comp heavyweight #10
Thread: UTC70 hot orange
Body: UV chartreuse mini straggle
Wing: white marabou with a couple of strands of krystal flash
Hackle: olive grizzle hen
Cheeks: hot orange goose biots

1 comment:

Hillend Dabbler said...

I like the look of that. I too prefer to lean towards the traditional style of fly but there are times when a man has to do what a man has to do, Last Sunday night for instance I stuck on a missionary which got me a nice broonie. I do like the look of that fly and will have a go at tying something similar to use this weekend.
Lovely photography too I may add.

Cheers, Allan.