Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Ribble in winter

I met our keeper on the Ribble today, to deliver a few bits of timber which will hopefully enable him to reinstate the two gauge staffs which were washed away in the recent floods. It would have been a nice day for a spot of fishing if only I had had the time: the river has dropped to a nice height (approx +150mm) and is running clear over freshly scoured gravel. It all looked very inviting, and with a faintest touch of mild spring air on the breeze, I could imagine that the middle of the afternoon might have seen a trickle of large dark olives venturing from the stones......and maybe a few grayling following them up.

But a kiddies party beckoned and it was not to be. Half an hour was all I had to spare and I spent it messing about with my new camera. The ability to process images in RAW format is proving a revelation to me and whilst I am still getting to grips with the superior capabilities of the thing (at least compared to my compact), the results straight away are pleasing. Given little interesting subject matter and indifferent light this morning, I spent a few minutes taking a series of bracketed exposures which were later merged using PC software to form fledgling High Dynamic Range (HDR) images. Many photographers argue that HDR processing is tantamount to cheating and that the results - particularly where 'over-processed' images are concerned - are unearthly and not representative of the true scene as witnessed by the human eye. I tend to agree. That said, for a man who has been saddled with JPEGs from his compact for so many years now, the ability to fart about with the raw camera data in such imaginative ways has come as a breath of fresh air......so please bear with me while I get this out of my system and eventually revert to 'proper' photography.




No comments: