Saturday, May 28, 2011

Brown water, coinciding variables, and the fine line between success and failure.

I was reminded of a few basic fly fishing principles last night, among them 'expect the unexpected' and 'trust your instincts'. The fact that upon arriving at the river, I nearly turned around and went home, seems unthinkable now as I bask in the afterglow of one of the best evening's dry fly fishing I can ever remember.
It was only gut feeling that compelled me to make the after work drive at all; although I'd put the rods in the car just in case, I didn't really have any intention of fishing last night. The usual obsessive fisherman's scrutiny of the weather and gauge data told a pretty uninspiring story - brisk winds backing from north westerly, falling air pressure, temperatures struggling to reach double figures, and a river running higher than would be preferred after a minor spate only 12 hours earlier (and therefore likely to be running a bit of colour).

It was the latter which caused me most concern. The weather might not be pleasant, but I've had good sport on chilly evenings at this time of year before. I knew the river would, at a foot above normal summer level, be fishable, just.......but I was certain I would be 24 hours too early from the point of view of water colour, that the river would not yet have lost its turbidity, would still be in the very early stages of the gradual transition to peat stained, but clearing water. Such margins are fine, I know. I didn't fancy it. I was on my way home.
 But another basic fly fishing principle compelled me to follow my instinct and point the car north - the one that states 'little is learned from from fishing only in perfect conditions; much can be learned in the face of adversity'.....or something like that. I had a change of heart and put my foot down.

Nevertheless, when I rolled up to the banks of the Eden an hour later, I was disappointed. The river was very coloured with visibility at less than 12". I was all set to bugger off back home (or at least potter over to Haweswater for a few casts) when I noticed a cluster of blue-winged olives riding the roily currents downstream. A little later, following a few minutes' concentrated scanning of the water, I noticed a fish rise tight in against the far bank - time to get those waders on!

What followed over the next three hours was wonderful and will live long in my memory. Put briefly, there was a heavy and prolonged hatch of b-wo duns (with a few pale wateries). The cold air meant that once emerged, they remained nailed hard to the surface for some time, waiting for their newly unfurled wings to dry. With thousands of olives on the water - and staying there - the trout responded appropriately and during the calmer spells when the wind died back, it seemed like every fish in the river was up and on the fin. I picked off fish, after fish, after fish; all - bar a brace of twelve inchers - pound plus trout. Three weighed over 2lbs, and the biggest, incredibly, over 4lb. It was remarkable stuff and a vivid demonstration of how a river's potential can be displayed when a complex set of variables converge. Conditions were far from perfect....yet they were totally perfect. How powerful a reminder that the angler should 'listen to the river' and not become shackled by preconceptions!

I've posted a few photos below. I don't normally go for more than a couple of meaningless fish pictures, but on this occasion I'm afraid there is nothing else to show. For once, I was too busy to be taking lots of photographs.












8 comments:

Bigerrfish said...

Well writen post, and one hell of a nice brown trout!

Simon said...

Lovely write up Matthew. I've been following your blog since the start of the season and it's always a pleasure to read. I've yet to truly encounter a BWO bonanza but I'll probably consider going out in the middle of a storm having now read your report!

Cheers
Simon

Flyfishermanrichard. said...

Some very nice fish Mat, and a four pound wild brown is very big indeed!

It always pays to fish, it's better than an evening in front of the TV?

Mick Martin said...

Nice blog, I can tell you turned up for school. Lovely browns aswell, suprising how a little colour can work either ways.
Mick

blake said...

I love it when instinct takes over and you just follow it to the river! I agree, great post and great fish!

Anonymous said...

Nice work Matthew!

Sounded like an incredible session. You don't get many nights like that in a lifetime.

Tom

Baslowfisher said...

Couldn't agree more when you say listen to the river. Had a similar experience on Saturday as conditions didn't look promising.
An enjoyable informative blog, keep on blogging.
Colin

Mark said...

Very nice post, very much enjoy reading your blog ! I learned a similar lesson recently when heavy thunderstorms turned a little mountain brook into a thundering torrent. I almost called it quits when I saw the water but a complete change from the usual approach brought some nice wild brook trout and a surprize rainbow to hand. your blog !