Thursday, June 16, 2011

Egg on Face.......

Ain't it always the way. After waxing lyrical about the good Lady Eden and her bounteous rewards over recent weeks, I took my old man up with me last night to show him what exceptional wild trout fishing looks like. Conditions were ostensibly ideal as the low overcast and muggy temperatures accompanied a river which was fining down nicely after a slight lift at the weekend. I confidently predicted a bonanza.......

Three hours and two 8 inch fish later I was forced to drastically reassess. For some reason the old girl went all shy on me and steadfastly refused to reveal even a smidgeon of her potential. Dearth of rising fish? No problem - on with the nymphs flipped into foamy, beer coloured water.....except the residents were seemingly in no mood to play ball and this for once over-confident angler was sent packing with a raft of apologies and frustrated utterances along the lines of  "It's not usually like this, honest".

And therein lies one of the great beauties of our sport I suppose: two weeks ago I had a field day in advese conditions, and yesterday, a nightmare when the prognosis looked spectacular. There must be reasons. I have theories. I won't bore you with them here. I've shown my Dad several nice bits of river fishing over the years now and without fail they have done the dirty on me, made a liar out of me, left me with a good dollop of albumen on the old visage. Curse of the guest? Maybe, but then again a timely reminder that if this fly fishing lark was always predictable and straightforward, there just wouldn't be any problems left to solve and we might as well all take up golf.

7 comments:

David Wood said...

its the same down here Matt....but no matter how bad it gets..I'll never take up golf!!

Wetfly said...

Same thing for me Matt, though my successful days do not compare with yours. I was never quite sure what a "love/hate relationship" is but fishing the Eden has given me an insight! Well done on the 5 years - a favourite read for me and not just for the technical stuff.
Bernard

blake said...

Too much built up anticipation... never a good thing in fishing I've learned.

Nick Carter said...

all sounds very familiar... & i agree with david woods comment, i'll never swap the waders for plus fours!

Flyfishermanrichard. said...

I too to better alone for some reason?

Graylinghunter said...

Same for me on the Dee Matt i took two welsh dee grayling virgins,who can hold thir own fly fishing.. I thought we would bag up and I came away with my tail between my legs..
my mistress the Dee wasnt up for the
Ménage à trois...

One of the lads got a PB grayling but from a Dee perspective it was quite small..

lakshmikant said...

hey Matt,

what is that fish called