Saturday, March 03, 2012

Dark olive spiders



I tied a few more large dark olive imitations this afternoon, in readiness for my forthcoming sessions on the river. I concentrated on cdc duns mainly, although when it started raining heavily outside I was reminded that when the season opens, the chances of the river being low with surface feeding trout everywhere are probably quite slim. My thoughts turned to spiders - waterhen bloas, yellow snipes, and this fly of my own creation which I just call the dark olive spider. I tied up half a dozen and feel much better for it....not long now!


Dark Olive Spider

Hook: Mustad R50 #14 
Thread: Pearsalls silk, yellow treated with Bill Bailey's cobblers wax
Hackle 1: leggy cdc tied in at the tip
Hackle 2: two turns of olive grizzle hen


(photos can be enlarged by clicking on the image)

5 comments:

e.m.b. said...

I love the add of the CDC behind the soft hackle...it's gorgeous, and I'm sure, very effective!

Andy said...

Like the idea of the CDC ,,, look very tasty

Andy

Andrew Griffiths said...

Is the cdc to keep the fly up near the surface / in film for longer?

The Jassid Man said...

Hi Matthew!

Lovely spiders! Thanks for posting the description of the pattern. I guess that the cdc will make the spider more lifelike and sink slower. Great idea! Just received a small batch of pearsalls gossamer silk thread on (can you believe it) wooden spools! I haven't seen those for sale for ages. I have made another request from the same source here in Sweden and probably it will arrive tomorrow. I'm gonna tie some spiders that I have wanted to do for a long time.

Have fun tying spiders and good luck in using them,
Mats Olsson

Flyfishermanrichard. said...

Nice flies Mat. I too lost a little edge this close season, and laying about is not good for anyone. Just a few more weeks for me, but sadly it's still the lack of water that concerns most? The LDO will be the first mayflies out for me, but very few on this river.

Love the spinner by the way.

Regards.