Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Yorkshire Dales flyfishing

There are hundreds of angling blogs out there, of vastly varying degrees of quality. For me, they tend to fall into one of two categories: a) the occasional ramblings of enthusiastic but untalented thrashers (guilty as charged m'lud!) and b) writings of accomplished fishers - be they guides, competition anglers, magazine contributors, whatever.

The latter category should provide some really good, informative material you would think. I rarely find this to be the case though. The foremost practitioners of our sport are probably too busy actually fishing to be bothered writing about it and often such a blog will serve more as a tagline to a main website advertising various guiding, fly tying and tuition services. Fair 'nuff.

There is one example out there that bucks this trend; I have been following it for a while and urge those of you who are unfamiliar with it to do likewise, as it is one of the best and most informative fly fishing reads in the blogosphere - Stuart Minnikin's Yorkshire Dales Flyfishing.

Stuart has been there, done it, and got the badge - he's fished for England, has an APGAI qualification, offers first class guiding and fly tying services, and knows his native Yorkshire rivers as well as anyone in this land. When someone like Stuart has something to say, any fly fisher with even moderate aspirations to improvement needs to take a bit of notice. Happily he somehow manages to find the time to write lengthy, considered and absorbing blog posts which are entirely free from the hyperbole and self promotion you sometimes find elsewhere. Trust me, it's excellent stuff and well worth a visit.

See link above and under the 'blogroll' heading adjacent.






3 comments:

Bradford Fly said...

Good shout Matt - Stuart's blog is a good 'un. Bought a lot of flies off him over the years too (can't be bothered tying myself really!) and they certainly do the bizz.

fishermanrichard. said...

I don't follow those that advertise anymore, as I see them in a different light now. But those that are written by true anglers that struggle to make sence of the world, like myself are the ones I like best. The thrashers as you call them Matt!!.

I also like to visit different countries and see how other anglers fish too.

I've looked at Stuarts blog, and will follow it, thanks.

Stuart Minnikin said...

Hi Matt. I've just found this post and I don't really know what to say other than thank you. I'm pleased you like the blog and feel it is good enough to advise others to read. I am truly flattered that someone who writes original material as well as you do, chooses to read and promote my ramblings.

Thank you.

Stuart Minnikin