Saturday, November 03, 2012

Olive Dun


After the capture of those two nice grayling last week, I had cause to once more be thankful for the little olive above, a pattern I call the stackwing dun. A size 16 version of this provided  me with some memorable moments during the early part of this summer, and it did the trick with those rising grayling just fine.
Although they are a bit more onerous to tie than a more conventional plume tip dun (involving as they do a splitting of the thread and insertion of cdc fibres), I like them for their busy appearance and slightly more stable attitude upon the surface film. They seem a touch more resistant to waterlogging than 'on-stem' cdc patterns and a nicely sloped back profile can be given to the wing which mimics a brand new dun nicely.

I topped up the box this afternoon, including a few bigger versions tied on #14 hooks in anticipation of next spring's large dark olive hatch (that seems a hell of a long way off right now). I added a few strands of straw olive seals fur to half a dozen, which will probably make not the slightest difference from a fish catching point of view.

I'd recommend trying your hand at a few of these over the forthcoming winter nights. They certainly worked a treat for me this time around........

6 comments:

Peter said...

Hi Matt
lovely looking fly. Do you just insert the CDC fibres in to the split thread and turn the wing as you would a conventional hackle [trimming the bottom level]?
Peter

fishermanrichard. said...

A nice fly Matt. It goes to show not all flies have to be over complicated.

Thanks.

fishermanrichard. said...

Hi Matt.

I've not looked on for a few weeks, some how your blog got lost on my list. Anyway, wonderful to see it's going so well. Some wonderful pictures, and those big grayling, that river of your is really heaven. Thanks for the flies too.

Kind Regards.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rio Grand King said...

Beautiful fly!
Even a tiny bit of stem on CDC sops up water and submerges a dry fly. You're correct that the split thread method makes for a more buoyant fly.
You can prove it to yourself with some water-filled glasses and CDC plumes.

Anonymous said...

Great looking fly and an enjoyable blog, I had a few flies off a lad based in the west midlands that look very similar to your cdc fly .
also he gave me some of his Shadwicks Squirrels and I caught my biggest Grayling of 2.5LB on them fished duo, I had them off a lad called Spencer Clayton and his olive ellusive is an amazing fly thats very much like your cdc fly.
I will follow this thread Matt as u have a good knowledge of river fly-fishing.

ATB
Tony

ATB