Thursday, March 28, 2013

Crawling out from under a stone near you!


Ecdyonurus torrentis, the large brook dun. Turn a few littoral stones over in your local spate stream and you'll like as not find a few of these handsome beasts clinging to the underside. Some anglers have observed the duns hatching in open water a la the March brown - the two flies certainly look similar to the untrained eye. However I have rarely found this emergence regime to be prevalent on my local waters, the nymphs hereabouts preferring to crawl out onto the surface of part submerged stones before making their break for freedom. As a result, large brook duns don't really figure in our plans as they are seldom available to the trout in significant numbers. They are still one of my favourites though: once I see the unmistakeable speckled brown of the big duns creeping about the margins, I know for sure that spring has arrived.

3 comments:

The Jassid Man said...

Hi Matthew!

Lovely photo! I'm not sure if we have that specie of mayfly here in Sweden. At least I haven't seen neither the nymph, dun or spinner of it here.

Stuart Minnikin said...

This is the first time I've ever disagreed with anything you've written Matt. I've not actually witnessed them hatching in open water as such but I suspect they do from the numbers I see on the water. But they will crawl out onto a midstream rock and drift off downstream, and crawl ashore as you say. But it doesn't really matter how they emerge, what is important is that good numbers of them end up on the water and trout love em. I've witnessed this on the Eden where I know you fish as well as the Wharfe. My March Brown Paradun works really well when they are about.

Matthew Eastham said...

I've honestly never seen that happen Stuart, but I'm fully prepared to accept that it does - and you are not the first to disagree with me: a chap I know who fishes the Tees and Wear, and one who fishes the South Wales rivers, both recount fishing mass emergences of them.
I've just never been lucky enough to see more than an odd one at a time, and then they've been either crawling about on the stones, or on the surface tight in to the edge. I'll be keeping my eyes open on this one definitely.

Thanks very much for your comment!
M