Monday, August 12, 2013


Not much to report from the last week I'm afraid. An evening session on the Ribble yielded around thirty fish to prospected dry fly, which would have been a result except not a single one measured longer than six inches. Parr in other words - a big fat blank to all except the most unscrupulous.

Another, slightly more fruitful day was spent fishing the Eden and one of her tributaries with Richard and Paul. This was to be a big fish hunt, pure and simple, and we had high hopes of nobbling at least a few of the river's larger residents. Decent cloud cover and an amber tinged river promised much, but in the event, a persistent and chilly breeze seemed to put a dampener on invertebrate activity, and with it much hope of finding regularly rising trout.

No matter. Fishing with friends always seems to take the edge off a poor session and although the pickings were decidedly slim, I had the pleasure of exploring some unfamiliar water with two fine anglers for company. Richard concentrated on the main river and went on to return the day's best two fish - trout of 1lb 7oz and 2lb, although it took until after 5pm to find them after a frustrating few hours pursuing 'oncers'. Paul and I meanwhile trotted off up one of the tributary becks and found at least an odd fish in feeding mood, a couple of which nudged the pound mark: exceptionally bonny brownies exhibiting the densely spotted markings typical of Eden system trout.

That was pretty much that. As evening approached the wind dropped momentarily and as if in an attempt to persuade us to stay on until the death, a few whiffles of B-WO spinners began to congregate over the surface; but minutes later the wind had returned with a vengeance, making our decision to call it quits that bit easier. It didn't feel right, didn't feel like an evening rise was on the cards at all.

In all, a tough day at the office with few opportunities. Such is the river in mid-August.

Paul's account of events can be read here

No comments: